The Physics Department at the University of Illinois has offered an NSF-sponsored Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program since 1999. Our 10 week summer program is available to United States citizens who are students at institutions other than the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. U. of I. students interested in attending an REU program can explore options at the national site.
Students participating in this program spend the summer (May 30, 2017 — August 4, 2017) on the Illinois campus working closely and directly with senior physics faculty on challenging, meaningful projects aimed at developing their “research literacy” skills and their exposure to the diversity of physics subfields.
REU 2017 INFORMATION
To receive full consideration for the program, apply online by March 1, 2017. A completed application consists of the following:
- Fill out the online application, which includes providing 2 references.
- An official transcript from student’s current institution. Transcripts should be mailed to:
Coordinator of Recruiting, Advising and Special Programs
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1110 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
If your school offers it, certified electronic transcripts will also be accepted.
- Students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program.
- Students must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident.
- Students must have completed their sophomore year by June 2017 with at least 4 semesters of physics with an average technical (math/physics) grade point average of 3.0/4.0.
- Students must be a major in physics or a related field.
- Applicants cannot be currently enrolled at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Offers will be made on a rolling basis after the application deadline until all positions are filled. Awardees will be notified by e-mail of their acceptance into the program and will be given a specific time window to accept or decline the offer.